Today is the day that we celebrate the Fathers in the world! Including God our Father!
Children and mothers in the world know that any man can be a dad but not every man can be, or is, a father. I understand this, because I have a son and a daughter, and have been a dad to one and a father to the other.
Today is different – although I am not as close to one as I am to the other – I love them both dearly and If I could change the past I would do many things differently, but I would never change the fact that I have two Beautiful children. I Love them both equally and dearly!!! (continue reading…)
Just a quick note to apologize for not getting this out on the day celebrated as Father’s Day! But if you are a dad, every day is Father’s Day, we just get special recognition on this day.
A few notes on what it means to be a parent and a father.
- It is important to set a good example as a father and to be a parent rather than a friend. That day will come. Even so, I am not sure being a friend is as important as being a father.
- Teaching responsibility is very important, including the little things that can mean so much;
- Teaching children about choices is more important, along with the consequences of bad choices;
- Learning about the consequences of actions is important also, but it is wise to teach about our part of any situation – it is easy to play the victim, but it is difficult to stop, look and see what part i had to do with anything – it teaches the following -
- Accountability – i didn’t do it, it wasn’t my fault – perhaps, but in most cases, we had some part to play – like choosing to hang with that group, etc…
- God sometimes does things that make no sense – and it is difficult to try to figure God out, so don’t – just look to God for help;
- Teach them about spirituality, worship and Faith – these things will get one through the good and bad times;
- Love your children – I love both my kids and I let them know it by saying “I Love You!”;
- Being a man does not mean not showing emotion – it means knowing when to show emotion;
- Be gentle when they do wrong – yelling is not telling, telling is not teaching and teaching takes patience; and
- learn to Encourage them and impart the need to dream and be daring, enjoy life and live free…the world has enough rules in place – and there will be plenty of people to knock us down – teach them that it is not the end but a beginning;
- Teach them to stand up for themselves and not be bullies but to help and protect the weaker ones – this will go a long way….
I am learning as I go, I am not a perfect person nor the perfect dad – but my kids love me (for now, anyway) and I love them. I do the best I can and I often fail – but I do not give up and I always go to God for help…
These little things have changed my life and I often look back on my life and thank God for my dad and granddad. Some where not as fortunate as I and have still become good parents.
I just wish you all well and patience with our children – they are our future. Teach them to love and to give and the world will be a better place – I am sure of it.
Take care, God Bless and Cool Runnings, mon! Michael Arellano
Today is the birthday of our Lord and Saviour! At least for us Christians. Today is a day that we need to reflect the birth of Jesus as well as the faith of a young girl and the strength of resolve of a young father. It is about acceptance, denial, judgment, fear and just doing the right thing.
This could be complicated and convoluted but it doesn’t have to be. I just have to accept Jesus as my Lord and my life takes on a whole new meaning. Where I once had no hope – I now have hope. I deny some of my old ways and use God – Who strengthens me – to be my Guidance, Counselor, Father and friend – but One I revere and rely upon for assistance in tough times.
Some will judge me for my beliefs and what I write and I sometimes fear this – but I have to do the right thing and stand true to my principles and beliefs. That is me, but what about the Holy Family? The Apostles, Jesus and God?
Joseph and Mary had to go through so much to get to Bethlehem (remember they were on the lamb), they had to explain that they had not had relations before marriage, got denied entrance to any of the Inns (there was no room in the Inn). Is it much different today – do I have room for God or Jesus in my life? People judged Jesus when He began his ministry (isn’t He the carpenter’s son?) and didn’t the apostle Peter fear for his life when asked if he knew Jesus the night they put Jesus to trial?
But in the end – who does the right thing? or even more, what is the right thing? Well I don’t know – but I know it has to do with Faith, Hope and Love. And these are things that I still struggle with but it doesn’t keep me from trying to do my best.
So on the birthday of my Lord and Savior, I begin anew again, like a baby learning to love, have faith and in that – I gain Hope – Hope in a new tomorrow and the strength to walk with the Lord to a better life, regardless of my circumstances. But I don’t know much – so I guess i just want to say: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and to my Lord – Happy Birthday Jesus – I love and thank you for my new life, my blessings and my family!
May God Bless you all!